From the beaches of Southeast Asia to the remote Antarctic, plastic pollution is everywhere. It starts polluting the moment it's created, impacting our oceans, our climate and the health of our communities. Microplastics pollution has now even been found in the air we breathe and the food we eat. We need a solution that matches the scale of the problem.
A global treaty on plastics is that solution. We are one step closer in the UN process to achieving it. Negotiations will start later this year, with the goal of completing the process by the end of 2024.
A strong global plastics treaty requires a holistic approach to ending the plastic pollution crisis, by:
• creating strong, legally binding commitments to ensure compliance from governments and industry;
• keeping oil and gas in the ground to protect our climate;
• accelerating a switch to refill and reuse systems and cutting single-use plastic production;
• holding countries accountable for managing their own waste and ending waste colonialism; and
• ensuring governments enact a just transition for workers, and prioritize the health of the most affected communities.
Greenpeace and our allies are pushing for a treaty that centres reduction, reuse and justice — not false solutions and business as usual.
Help us make this a reality. Ask Justin Trudeau and other world leaders to support a strong global plastics treaty!
Sign This Petition
supporter has signed supporters have signed
needed to reach